On Stage: Drums, banter, big hair, sweat, cold Corona
Off Stage: microlabel manager, photographer, bad piano player, ranting anti-theist, nagging parent, MAMIL, mid-level Twitter twit (@logicbuster, @newmastersounds), resentful Apple slave, Scrabble apostate (logicbuster on Words With Friends)
Drum Gear (as of Sept 2015):
Cymbals: 13” UFIP hi-hats; Paiste 22” vintage ride, Paiste Giant Beats 20” crash/ride; Zildjian 16” medium crash
Ludwig Shells: Supraphonic 14” x 5” snare, 22” silver sparkle kick drum, 13 rack tom (mounted on the kick drum), 16” floor tom (on the floor on legs, by crikey!)
Evans Heads: coated heads on the toms and snare drum, clear head on kick drum.*
Pro-Mark Sticks: 5A Hickory wood-tip*
*courtesy of D’Addario
Born: Warwickshire, England
Brief Musical History: 1987 - had a Saturday job at Discovery Records in Leamington Spa. Acquired rudimentary grasp of drums (but not drum rudiments) by tapping on the counter along to music. Moved to Leeds aged 18, played in a blues band and several unsuccessful acid jazz and soul bands in the early nineties. Connected with Eddie Roberts in 1997.
Feed Me: toast and Marmite
Hot Beverage Preference: Proper tea with milk and one sugar, please. But only if it’s piping hot. (favourite tea joke: why did Karl Marx only ever drink herbal tea? a: because all proper tea is theft.) Is there anything more counter-intuitive than, when ordering in USA, having to specify: ‘“black” tea please, but leave some room for the milk’? And why on Earth would you present me with a cup of warm water and a tea bag in a little packet on the side? By then it’s already too late! (Of course, I won’t make a fuss since I’m British.)
Cold Beverage Preference: gin and tonic with ice and a slice of lime
- The Good Father by Noah Hawley
- Bad Science by Ben Goldacre
- Paranormality by Richard Wiseman
- Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
What’s On My Audio Player:
- Allen Toussaint - Life, Love & Faith
- The Bird & The Bee - Interpreting the Masters (Tribute to Hall & Oates)
Pet Hates (HEAR ME RANT):
- Having to dodge dog shit on the sidewalk when walking my kids to school. This enrages me and always inspires insane vigilante fantasies, which, if actually carried out, would land me in prison or a secure mental facility. Which I resent.
- American ‘online’ banking (an ‘online’ payment electronically generates an actual physical cheque (“check”) which gets posted (“mailed”) to the recipient’s home. Recipient then drives to bank and queues (“lines”) up to hand it to a cashier (“teller”). Hello?
- Homophobia, especially the kind that claims to be religiously-motivated, which is just downright dishonest.
- Magical thinking (religion & other superstitious claptrap like astrology, homeopathy and crystal healing)
- Simon’s photography website
- 2010 Interview with MusoScribe 2010 about the History of NMS and the “Ten Years On” album
- Simon interviewed for Chicago Now 2013
- Simon interviewed on Dyn-o-mite
- Simon interviewed for Gimme Some Skin 2011
- Simon interviewed for Funkatopia Radio 2014
- Simon interviewed on La Toile des Batteurs (French drumming website)
- Simon & Eddie interviewed on Moboogie