On Stage: Drums, rambling banter, enthusiastic backing vocals, big hair, white tequila
Off Stage: microlabel manager, photographer, ranting anti-theist, nagging parent, MAMIL, mid-level Twitter twit (@logicbuster, @newmastersounds), occasional rock climber, enthusiastic late-starter (tennis, gymnastics & chess), resentful Apple slave (iMac, Macbook Pro, iPad, iPhone), Scrabble apostate (logicbuster on Words With Friends), Boggle apostate (logicbuster on Scramble With Friends),
Ideal Drum Gear: Ludwig Black Beauty 14 x 6.5 snare drum; 13 or 14 Zildjian A custom Mastersound hi-hats; Zildjian 21 sweet ride, Istanbul 18 dark crash; a Ludwig 22 sparkly 1960s kick drum, 12 rack tom (mounted on the kick drum, for goodness’ sake!) and 16 floor tom (on the floor on legs, by crikey!), Evans coated heads on the toms and snare drum. Some moon-gel here and there to stop the terrible ringing. Pro-Mark 5A Hickory sticks.
Born: Warwickshire, England
Brief Musical History: 1987 - had a Saturday job at Discovery Records in Leamington Spa. Acquired rudimentary grasp of drums (but not drum rudiments) by tapping on the counter along to music. Moved to Leeds aged 18, played in a blues band and several unsuccessful acid jazz and soul bands in the early nineties. Connected with Eddie Roberts in 1997.
Feed Me: toast and Marmite
Hot Beverage Preference: Proper tea with milk and one sugar, please. But only if it’s piping hot. (favourite tea joke: why did Karl Marx only ever drink herbal tea? a: because all proper tea is theft.) Is there anything more counter-intuitive than, when ordering in USA, having to specify: ‘“black” tea please, but leave some room for the milk’? And why on Earth would you present me with a cup of warm water and a tea bag in a little packet on the side? By then it’s already too late! (Of course, I won’t make a fuss since I’m British.)
Cold Beverage Preference: Rum and ginger beer with ice and lime
- Seven Deadly Sins by David Walsh
What’s On My Ipod:
Pet Hates (HEAR ME RANT):
- Having to dodge dog shit on the sidewalk when walking my kids to school. This enrages me and always inspires insane vigilante fantasies, which, if actually carried out, would land me in prison or a secure mental facility. Which I resent.
- American ‘online’ banking (an ‘online’ payment electronically generates an actual physical cheque which gets posted to the recipient’s home. Recipient then drives to bank and queues up to hand it to a cashier. What century?
- Homophobia, especially the kind that claims to be religiously-motivated, which is just downright dishonest.
- Magical thinking (count me in with the science geeks, please)
- Simon’s photography website
- Simon interviewed on Dyn-o-mite
- Simon interviewed on La Toile des Batteurs (French drumming website)
- Simon & Eddie interviewed on Moboogie